Registered for use in: CA
Natives of north-western Mexico and the American Southwest, these damaging pests have now made their way into California. They are particularly partial to grapes, kiwi and tree fruits, but have also been known to feed on roses, yews, pines and even some grasses. While their leaf-rolling habit does not cause direct damage to crops, their propensity to prey on flower buds and fruit certainly does. They can prevent optimal growth by gorging on flower buds before they're able to fruit out and they will feed on fruit that does grow just as it is ripening. Both of these behaviors also make the plant more vulnerable to disease, either by weakening it or by allowing pathogenic organisms into it through open feeding sites. Leafrollers can be difficult to control, but it is possible with careful and thorough monitoring of their life stages and treating each one specifically. These pheromone spirals have been developed for use when the adult moths are flying around looking for mates.
Mode of Action: These spirals are mating disruptors; they work by interfering with communication between adults to prevent mating. This disruption in their mating process means fewer fertile eggs, decreasing the chances of subsequent larval infestation. With the reduction of larvae there is less need for conventional pesticides. This will not only help your wallet and the environment, it will allow populations of beneficial insects and organisms to grow and contribute to the biological control of these pests.
These easy-to-use spirals (simply wrap them around a stem or branch) only work on the flying adult moths and only stop them from reproducing; they do not kill the larvae. Please refer to our Omnivorous Leafrollers page for information on how to round-out your control by tackling the other life stages.
Suggested Uses: Use as a mating disruptor to control Omnivorous Leafrollers on grapes, kiwi or tree fruit crops.
This Product Controls These Pests or Diseases: Omnivorous leafrollers (Platynota sultana)
Open the container just prior to application. Unpackage and use only the amount of spirals to be used immediately. Reseal partially used bags and return them to cold storage while awaiting later use. NoMate OLR Spirals are applied directly to the tree, bush or vine by wrapping the spiral around the stems or branches. Apply the product to the upper 1/3 portion of the canopy whenever possible. Place spirals at least 1-2 feet within the radius of the canopy. For maximum efficiency, it may be necessary to increase the density of the placement around the perimeter. Check area after inclement weather to determine if another application is needed.
- Monitor using wing-style or delta style traps and Omnivorous Leafrollers lures to determine the best time for application. Trap placement should begin at early petal fall to determine first flight and should continue throughout the season to help assess treatment effectiveness.
- Make the first application of NoMate OLR Spirals with 2-4 days after the first male moth is captured in a trap (biofix). Prediction Degree Day models can provide assistance in determining application timing. Model information and economic thresholds that may vary according to geographical regions are available from your county Farm Advisor.
- Second and any subsequent application should be timed such that the new application is made before the effect of the previous application significantly diminishes. Leafrollers life cycle models, diligent trapping and field checking are all important considerations in the proper timing of an additional spiral application.
Application Rate: 130 spirals per acre applied 1-3 times per year, or as needed.
Storage: So not contaminate water, food or feed through storage or disposal. Store in a cool place until used. Prolonged storage should be at or less than 45°F.
Available by special order only. Allow 1-2 weeks for delivery.
Cannot Be Shipped To: AL,AK,AZ,AR,CO,CT,DE,DC,FL,GA,HI,ID,IL,IN,IA,KS,KY,LA,ME,MD,MA,MI,MN,MS,MO,MT,NE,NV,NH,NJ,NM,NY,NC,ND,OH,OK,OR,PA,PR,RI,SC,SD,TN,TX,UT,VT,VA,WA,WV,WI,WY
Warning & Toxicities: KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. HAZARDS TO HUMANS AND DOMESTIC ANIMALS. Caution: Harmful if absorbed through skin, inhaled or swallowed. Causes moderate eye irritation. Avoid contact with skin, eyes and clothing. Avoid breathing vapor. Wash thoroughly with soap and water after handling and before eating, drinking, chewing gum, using tobacco or using the toilet. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before re-use. Wear the appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as follows:
- Long sleeved shirt and long pants
- Chemical resistant gloves
- Protective eyewear
- Shoes and socks
: For terrestrial use only. Do not apply directly to water, areas where surface water is present, or to intertidal areas below the mean high water mark. Do not contaminate water when disposing of equipment washwaters or rinsate.
Active Ingredients/Guaranteed Analysis: