ARBICO Organics™ is happy to provide Assassin Bugs (Zelus renardii) for general garden insect control. Raised in our insectary in Catalina, AZ, Leafhopper Assassin Bugs are excellent general predators in gardens and greenhouses and remain predatory in all life stages. Their rapid feeding habits and tendency to kill for the sake of killing make them ideal for continued control of various pest insect populations including leafhoppers, aphids, mealybugs, thrips, small caterpillars and more. Assassin Bugs also have the ability to feed on larger prey than many of their beneficial insect counterparts. Their wide range of food sources and high reproduction rate allow Assassin Bugs to maintain and even grow their population without high pest numbers.
Benefits of Assassin Bugs:
- Active in high temperatures/low humidities
- All life stages are predatory.
- Resin produced on their legs and rostrum increases ability to capture prey.
- High reproduction rates without specific food sources.
- Two month life span provides continuous control.
- Not attracted to synthetic light sources making them ideal indoors.
- Visible once hatched, more easily monitored.
Additional Information Resources:
- Assassin Bugs – General Garden Predators, University of Maryland Extension
- Assassin Bug Facts & Information, Galveston Country Master Gardeners