These spirals are mating disruptors; they work by interfering with communication between adult tomato pinworms to prevent mating. This disruption in their mating process means fewer fertile eggs, decreasing the chance of subsequent larval infestation. With the reduction of larvae there is less need for conventional pesticides. This will not only help your wallet and the environment, it benefits beneficial insect populations that can help control future pests.
Tomato Pinworm: This particular crop pest thrives in warm agricultural areas in the continental United States (think Arizona, southern California and Florida) and in tropical islands like Hawaii and the Bahamas. They have also made their way into nice warm greenhouses across the US. The larvae of these pinworms feed on the leaves and fruit of the host plant (they like tomatoes, eggplants and potatoes). They leave tunneling, tying and folding damage on leaves and pin-sized holes in fruit. Larvae can be controlled using Bacillus thurengiensis or Spinosad product, but for more complete control of the problem, treatment should be applied during more than one life cycle of the pest. These spirals are designed to be used when the adult moths take flight in search of mates.
These easy-to-use spirals only work on the flying adult moths and only stop them from reproducing; they do not kill the larvae. Please refer to our tomato pinworm page for more pinworm control options.
This Product Controls These Pests or Diseases: Tomato Pinworms (Keiferia lycopersicella)
How To Apply:
- Open the container just prior to application. Unpackage and use only the amount of spirals to be used immediately. Reseal partially used bags and return them to cold storage while awaiting later use.
- NoMate TPW Spiral is applied directly to the tree, bush or vine by wrapping the spiral around the stems or branches.
- Apply the product to the upper 1/3 portion of the canopy whenever possible.
- Place spirals with uniform field distribution. For maximum efficiency, it may be necessary to increase the density of the placement around the perimeter.
- Monitor using wing-style or delta style traps and Tomato Pinworm lures to determine the best time for application. Trap placement should begin in March/April to determine first flight and should continue throughout the season to help assess treatment effectiveness. Change lures every 3-4 weeks.
- The application of NoMate TPW Spirals should take place no later than 2 weeks after transplant (in tomatoes), or if traps capture 2-5 Tomato Pinworm moths per day. If thorough field monitoring indicates a low level of pinworm infestation, the application may be delayed until economic thresholds are reached.
- Second and any subsequent application should be timed such that the new application is made before the effect of the previous application significantly diminishes. Tomato Pinworm life cycle models, diligent trapping and field checking are all important considerations in the proper timing of an additional spiral application.
Application Rate: 200-400 spirals per acre. Apply 1-3 times per year, or as needed.
Storage: So not contaminate water, food or feed through storage or disposal. Store in a cool place until used. Prolonged storage should be at or less than 45°F.
Cannot Be Shipped To: AL,AK,AR,CO,CT,DE,DC,FL,GA,ID,IL,IN,IA,KS,KY,LA,ME,MD,MA,MI,MN,MS,MO,MT,NE,NV,NH,NJ,NM,NY,NC,ND,OH,OK,OR,PA,PR,RI,SC,SD,TN,TX,UT,VT,VA,WA,WV,WI,WY
Warning & Toxicities: KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. HAZARDS TO HUMANS AND DOMESTIC ANIMALS. Caution: Harmful if absorbed through skin, inhaled or swallowed. Causes moderate eye irritation. Avoid contact with skin, eyes and clothing. Avoid breathing vapor. Wash thoroughly with soap and water after handling and before eating, drinking, chewing gum, using tobacco or using the toilet. Remove contaminated clothing and wash before re-use. Wear the appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) as follows: Long sleeved shirt and long pants, chemical resistant gloves, protective eyewear, shoes and socks.
Environmental Hazards: For terrestrial use only. Do not apply directly to water, areas where surface water is present, or to intertidal areas below the mean high water mark. Do not contaminate water when disposing of equipment washwaters or rinsate.
Active Ingredients/Guaranteed Analysis: