Ships via Overnight methods on Tuesdays Only. Minimum 7-day lead time prior to shipment. See Shipping Info for details. For Delivery Only. Not available in store.
Preferred food: These predatory mites prefer Greenhouse and Western Flower Thrips adults. They will also eat various mite species and pollen. Use A. cucumeris with A. andersoni or P. persimilis when controlling mite populations.
Biology & Behavior: Primarily thrips predators, Amblyseius cucumeris is a tan colored predatory mite, approximately 0.5 mm long. Eggs hatch into larvae that molt into nymphs approximately 2 days after being laid. During the next 7-10 days, the nymphs feed on thrips. Once they mature, the adult thrips predators consume one thrip per day. Adults live up to 30 days with females laying up to 35 eggs during that time. A. cucumeris can be found on the underside of the leaves or inside the flowers. The mites feed on pollen as well, so a supplement of ARBICO Good Bug Power Meal will help ensure that your thrips predators stay where they're needed. Cover cropping and intercropping can provide alternative habitat in the absence of other food sources in the crops where being grown.
Release Rates & Recommendations: Release the mites when thrips populations are low (monitor with with sticky blue or yellow traps), and allow several weeks for results. Ideal conditions are 68-77°F and a relative humidity of 65-70%. Moisture and humidity help increase hatch rates; however, sachets should be kept dry when applying. A. cucumeris should be used preventively, not to treat an established thrips or mite populations. When controlling established thrips populations, consider using Minute Pirate Bugs to gain control and A. cucumeris to maintain control. Do not use with A. swirskii.
Preventive Release Rates - Make initial releases before thrips issues develop to allow A. cucumeris to establish. This can take 4-8 weeks.
- Shaker Tubes in Vermiculite/Bran: 10-20 mites per sq. ft. or 100-200 per square meter. Make weekly broadcast applications.
- Mini-Sachets/Sachets on Sticks: Apply one sachet per propagation tray or plant. Repeat applications every 4 weeks.
Spot Treatment Release Rates (Acute Treatment) - Use when isolated areas of pest pressure are present.
- Shaker Tubes in Vermiculite/Bran: Apply 20-40 mites per sq. ft. (100-400 per square meter). Reapply weekly in broadcast applications until pest issues have subsided.
This Product Controls These Pests or Diseases: Bean Thrips (Caliothrips fasciatus), Broad Mites, Russet Mites, Spider Mites, Thrips (Franklinothrips sp), Western Flower Thrips
A. cucumeris is primarily a thrips predator, but is also used for spider mite control. Relatively high release rates are needed because thrips reproduce more quickly than A. cucumeris, who feed on the immature stages. For best control of thrips, use with Minute Pirate Bugs on foliage and release S. scimitus in the growing medium.
Release instructions for A. cucumeris can be found below. If you are a first time user of beneficial insects or mite predators, please call us at 1-800-827-2847 to walk through application instructions and best practices.
Release Instructions: Make sure the crop and floor are dry when applying sachets.
- Shaker Tubes (In Bran and Vermiculite): Shake small quantities of predatory mites onto crop where pest pressure is heaviest. Lightly misting plants before releases are made can help mites establish themselves and aid overall effectiveness of A. cucumeris.
- Sachets & Mini-Sachets: Open the shipping box of the sachets in the crop. Separate the individual sachets. Hang sachets inside plant canopy where possible with emergence hole on the underside. Apply when crop is dry to maximize hatch rates. Predatory mites emerge from the sachets for 4-6 weeks. Do not hang adjacent to heating pipes.
- Sachets on Sticks: Use during propagation when plants cannot support mini-sachets. Place one stick per propagation tray. Repeat releases every 4 weeks.
Environment: Outdoors, Crops, Orchards & Vineyards, Nursery, Greenhouse, Grow Room, Hydroponics, Aquaponics, Pond & Environment, Interiorscapes, Container Plants
Storage: Use within 18 hours of receipt. If not releasing immediately, keep in a cool dark place out of direct sunlight. Do not refrigerate. Slightly moist and humid. Store where temps are between 66 - 80°F and relative humidity is between 65 - 72%RH.
When Will My Order Ship?
- Ships via Overnight shipping methods only. This does not take processing time into account. Overnight Shipping refers to the time frame for delivery after the shipment date.
- Orders ship on Tuesdays only.
- Order by Tuesday for shipment the following Tuesday. 7-day minimum lead time prior to shipment.
- For any questions about shipping restrictions or dates, please call us at 1-800-827-2847.
Cannot Be Shipped To: HI,PR,VI,GU,AS,PW
What's In The Package:
- Sachets and Sachet Strips are packed with a mixture of immature and adult A. cucumeris. This ensures ongoing release from sachets for 4-6 weeks after placement. Sachet Strips are packed at a ratio of 1 full sachet: 3 empty sachets to minimize mite predator losses between plants.
- Bran and Vermiculite mixes are packed with adult A. cucumeris ready to feed on active mite populations.
Warning & Toxicities: Do not use adjacent to heating pipes. A. swirskii will eat immature A. cucumeris making them unsuitable for use together.
Shelf Life: Use within 18 hours of receipt.