In their search of the perfect piece of fruit to lay their eggs in, the female Apple Maggot (Rhagoletis pomonella) just can't resist a plump red apple. These red spheres will appeal to that weakness and entice her right over. However, once they land on this trap, the adhesive will grab them and their quest will be over. Spread traps throughout your trees and remove, clean and re-use them once every 2-3 weeks or when they become covered with insects.
If you are dealing with an infestation, your best course of treatment will be to use these traps with beneficial insects and other products such as Surround® WP, horticultural oils and yellow sticky traps.
- Fold together the 2 parts of the sphere to form a complete orb and run wire holder through the holes to keep it closed.
- Very carefully brush adhesive on all parts of the sphere. You may want to use gloves for this part of the setup.
- Wire holder can be stuck in the ground or used to attach trap to a tree branch.
- Place traps along the perimeter row. In orchards with previous Apple Maggot damage, a few should also be placed in the interior of the orchard.
- You can also place traps in each tree. For small (dwarf and less than 8 ft.), use 1 trap. With large trees (20-25 ft.), use 6-8 traps. Please note: these are suggested numbers; you should always make the final decision as to what is appropriate for your unique needs.
- Clean and/or replace traps every 2-3 weeks or when they fill up with insects.
To remove Stiky Stuff adhesive:
- From skin - coat area well with vegetable oil or waterless hand cleaner and then wash with soap and water.
- From surfaces - coat area well with mineral spirits, baby oil, vegetable oil or CitraSolv and wipe clean.
What's In The Package: 25 re-useable apple spheres, 25 wire holders and 2 cans of Olson Stiky Stuff Adhesive