- Shipping Info
Shipping via USPS is included in the cost of each shipment.
ARBICO Organics™ Fly Eliminators™ are tiny, naturally occurring insects that feed on fly pupae. This predation disrupts the life cycle of the fly and causes their population to plummet. To get a clear picture of how they work it is important to understand the life cycle of the fly:
- The fly lays an egg that looks like a speck of sugar.
- Within hours, the egg develops into a microscopic larva (a maggot).
- The maggot is light sensitive and will then burrow itself deep into the ground or manure away from outdoor light.
- Once buried, it will continue to grow until it reaches the optimum size and then it pupates.
Fly Eliminators™ sole purpose in life is to seek out these fly pupae. Under cover of darkness, they find the pupa and make a tiny tear in it to feed. Additionally, the females will deposit (oviposit) their eggs inside the fly pupa once they have fed on it. The Fly Eliminator™ eggs will grow and feed on the developing fly, effectively eliminating flies. In about 17 to 21 days, those parasites will hatch out of the fly puparium and begin the cycle again. Within 4-6 weeks, you can expect a reduction in the fly population. We recommend repeated applications to keep pace with the fly's life cycle and maintain a healthy Fly Eliminator™ population.
Fly Eliminators™ are easy-to-use and USDA approved.
Answers to Frequently Asked Questions about Fly Eliminators™
- Fly Eliminators™ are not harmful to humans or animals.
- They do not bite or sting.
- They will not be flying around you or your animals. In fact, once you have released them, you will never see them, as they avoid the light and spend their time looking for their food source in organic matter.
- Fly Eliminators™ only prey on "manure breeding" flies; they will not help control mosquitoes or other pest insects.
- They are not an invasive species. They are already present in the environment; we are only introducing them in greater numbers than would normally be present.
For best pricing and free booster shipments - check out our season long programs!
How to Release Your Fly Eliminators
The insects are shipped as parasitized pupae in a wood chip medium and are dispersed by releasing a small handful at "hot spots". To release, scratch a 1-inch hole in the ground with your boot heel, drop in a small handful of sawdust and pupae, and cover them with straw, earth, or manure to protect them against wind, birds, ants or pesticides. The amount of parasites to release depends upon the size of the "hot spot". Use as small as a teaspoon or as large an amount as a handful. These parasites travel 30 to 50 meters in search of visible fly larvae and pupae.
Seed as many hot spots as possible with your first application, concentrating heavily on the obvious fly-breeding areas. Repeat this release procedure in slightly different spots on subsequent applications. In this way, new cultures of parasites will be evenly distributed throughout the fly season.
DO NOT place the parasitized pupae in standing pools of water or in the center of manure piles. Instead, place them around the perimeter.
IMPORTANT: US Mail is our standard shipping method; the price of shipping via USPS is included.
Shipping Upgrades to UPS Ground and FedEx Ground or Overnight are available, call us at 1-800-827-2847 to ensure proper shipping for your needs.
There is an additional $8.50 per shipment for shipping UPS or FedEx Ground. Overnight shipping is market-priced by distance from Tucson, Arizona.
Cannot Be Shipped To: HI,PR