CowPots are biodegradable, ready-to-plant pots made from composted cow manure. Made on a family dairy farm in Connecticut, these pots offer multiple for benefits for your plants.
- USDA Certified 100% Biobased
- Waste-Free Growing - Each CowPot is designed to be planted whole and will break down completely into your soil over a single growing season.
- Protection from transplant shock
- Decomposing CowPots provide additional organic matter to your soil.
- Growing roots can easily penetrate the CowPot, which eliminates root-bound plants and spurs air pruning.
- Can be planted directly into patio containers, flowerpots, raised beds and gardens
- 100% sustainable - The cattle from the dairy farm provide a continuous supply of the manure that is the source material for the pots.
- Odor-free - CowPots are heat-treated to reduce offensive odors.
- An excellent natural alternative to plastic or peat pots
Seed Starting Mixed Case -
Contains the 4 most popular styles for seed starting:
17 units of #3 Six Cell, 2 units of #3 Square, 45 units of #4 Square and 33 units of #4 Tall
- This combination of pots provides a range of sizes and styles that can accommodate a variety of soil volumes to fit whatever seed type you're growing.
- Use the #3 sizes for quick-germinating plants like cucurbits, or for cold season crops like brassica and greens.
- Use the #4 sizes to supply more soil volume for plants that need more time indoors before transplanting.
Shop All Cowpots Products here.
Fill the CowPots with potting soil mix and plant seeds according to the directions on the seed packet or transplant seedling into pot.
- If possible, leave space between pots to maximize air circulation (improves pot performance and plant health). Water and fertilize as needed.
- CowPots can be top or bottom watered.
- Manure naturally retains moisture – make sure not to over-water.
- Give the pot time to harden between watering (prevents over-watering and reduces mold-forming spores).
- Allow pots to dry before handling (pots are fragile when wet).
- Pots turn dark brown when wet and light brown when it's time to water again.
- When seedlings are ready for planting, place entire CowPot into soil, cover and water.
- Do not break up the pot (could cause damage to the roots and transplant shock).
- Plant entire pot and cover completely with soil.
Shelf Life: Once planted, ≈3-4 months in a greenhouse setting. If not planted and stored in a cool dry place, shelf life is indefinite.