If you have ever seen Citrus Leaf Miner (Phyllocnistis citrella) damage on a citrus tree, you know just how devastating it can be. The damage that you see is caused by the larval form of the miners as they tunnel their way inside and through the tree's delicate leaves. It presents as either squiggly lines of excrement-filled tunnels on the surface or curled and distorted leaves, or both. Tender, young leaves of citrus trees (and other close relatives) are not only the preferred food of the Phyllocnistis citrella larva, they are the only place they are able to survive. Once a tree matures (4 years or more) and its leaves harden, they are not easily susceptible to the larvae. For this reason, it is the young trees that need to be closely monitored and protected
The good news is that Citrus Leaf Miner damage is usually not fatal to the tree. A severe infestation, however, can cause considerable leaf drop and weaken the tree enough to make it vulnerable to disease. Additionally, once the larvae emerge from the leaf to pupate into their next life stage, their empty feeding tunnels become excellent vector sites for disease. These diseases can result from contact with other insects, bacteria, fungal spores and viruses. To keep your trees healthy, it is best to keep the miners off of them to begin with.
While there are actions that can be taken to control miners in their various life stages (see our Leafminers page for more information), disrupting mating behavior is an excellent way to reduce your worries down the line. The lures that come with these traps release a sex pheromone that attracts male miners in search of mates. Once they have been drawn in, they become hopelessly trapped in the sticky adhesive. This trapping action not only eliminates the offspring that a would-be father may have produced, it gives you an excellent record of which insects and how many of them are in your trees.
- For use on all types of citrus trees, including Orange, Lemon and Lime
- Lures and adhesives are non-toxic and pesticide-free
- Will only lure adult Citrus Leaf Miner males, so there's no danger to beneficial insects
- Easy to assemble trap and easy to replace lure
- A sanitary and self-contained unit - no additional materials needed
This Product Controls These Pests or Diseases: For use as a mating disruptor to control the adult male Citrus Leafminers (Phyllocnistis citrella).
You can find the following assembly instructions with illustrations under the DOCS tab.
Assembly of Diamond Trap:
- Grasp top and bottom of trap and pull apart.
- Fold perforated end inward to hold trap in a three dimensional shape.
- Grasp and pull down to pull trap into place. Fold ends inward.
- Open the protective packet and remove the lure. Place lure on inside on the top of the trap.
- Hang the trap by placing a twist-tie hangar through the hole in the top of the trap and hang in an appropriate location.
- Inspect the traps regularly and remove insects and debris.
- Traps should be deployed beginning in early spring (at least 2 weeks before bud break) through the summer (or April through August).
- Place traps high in trees, maintaining a foliage-free space of 12-18" around the trap. Take care to avoid wind and rain as much as possible.
- NEVER hang trap below foliage canopy or closer than 4 feet to the ground.
- Use 1 trap for small or dwarf trees and 2 for larger trees.
Replacing The Trap:
- Replace diamond trap as necessary when sticky surface becomes covered with debris, dust or insect scales.
- The lure lasts 8 weeks. The trap and lure should be replaced every 8 weeks to insure full season coverage.
For best results, hang traps 5-10 feet away from grow area or garden plot to draw adult borers away
- To prolong the storage life of lure, refrigerate or freeze unused lures in their protective packet.
- Use of tweezers or rubber gloves for handling lures in recommended to avoid contaminating the lure, especially if traps for more than one insect are being prepared.
- Sticky material from traps can be removed with cooking oil.
- Although the surface of this trap contains no dangerous chemicals, it is extremely sticky. Therefore, keep it out of reach of children and pets. If sticky material gets on your hands, remove with vegetable oil.
What's In The Package: Two extra-sticky glue traps and 2 ready-to assemble Diamond traps