- Shipping Info
You may be tempted to plant this Australian heirloom merely for its beauty, but the rich flavor and high nutritional value will convince you to make this a go-to edible ornamental. The leaves of this upright-growing plant should grow about 18" tall, but you can pick them before that to enjoy the tender and delicate baby stages. However, leaf colors will intensify as they grow, so you may want to wait and enjoy all the lovely shades of red, purple, orange, yellow and white that will appear. Rainbow Swiss Chard can be grown just about anywhere and will be a generous producer for you all season long; it can even handle a light frost. The large leaves of this chard make it an ideal candidate for stuffing with rice and meat.
Days To Maturity: 60
Outdoor Sowing Recommended.
- Two weeks before the last spring frost (and again in summer for a fall harvest), sow seeds directly into garden in full sun or light shade.
- Plant ½" deep and 8" apart within the rows and space the rows 2' apart.
- Seeds germinate in 5-10 days at 55-80°F.
- Thin seedlings to 10-12" apart.
- Make summer plantings 1-2" deep.
- Harvest by picking larger, outer leaves first and leaving younger leaves in the center to develop.
What's In The Package: Approximately 100 seeds per packet.