Made from the natural byproducts of coconut cultivation (crushed coconut husks), this premium coconut coir product is a renewable and sustainable alternative to peat moss (sphagnum). Prococo CocoPeat's high moisture retention, mildly acidic pH and long-term effectiveness make it a fantastic choice for bedding, soil mediums, soil amendments and landscaping uses. Advantages to using coconut coir are numerous:
- Coco coir is free of bacterial and fungal spores, so you will not introduce diseases into the garden or greenhouse.
- Easy to hydrate. It decreases water and nutrient usage. Ideal for growing specialty products such as mushrooms and microgreens.
- It has a pH of between 5.6 and 6.8. Many plants and microbes prefer mildly acidic soil. This pH allows plant roots to easily absorb nutrients.
- Coir improves the overall quality of soil. With repeated applications or in the correct mix rates, soil will become more friable and loose.
- It is resistant to mold and mildew. Prococo products are sterilized during production. Its low salt content limits salt buildup/burning.
- CocoPeat is ideal when making custom soil mixtures. It can be mixed with potting soil, compost and other grow mediums/amendments to support the plants being grown.
- Use as the bedding for the Worm Factory, or any other vermiculture (worm composting) bins.
CocoPeat can also be used as bedding for pets and livestock. Large animals like horses will find this coir comfortable in their stalls and small animals like reptiles will be equally pleased to find this in their habitats. The added humidity offered by CocoPeat aids in egg incubation, as well.
How to expand Prococo CocoPeat blocks:
- Remove bag and submerge either the full block or part of it in water.
- Allow to fully expand, then break up the dry pieces and mix contents.
- Drain excess water and use.
- Add fertilizer as required.
Watch a video on how to expand Prococo CocoPeat blocks here.
Suggested Uses: Can be used for animal and reptile bedding, soil and peat moss replacement, greenhouse growing, landscaping material, bedding for nursery plants, orchids and ephiphytes, tree and vine planting, citrus propagation, mushroom cultivation, growing microgreens, hydroponics and aquaponics, vermiculture, playground mulch, living green roofs, eco-plastics, eco-mattresses, spill absorption, oil cleanup, liquid containment and more.
Mix CocoPeat with other Prococo products and/or other growing media materials to build a soil suitable to your cultivation needs. Use as a soil amendment in sandy soils to improve water retention.
Environment: Use in greenhouses, nurseries, container plants, bedding plants, playgrounds, landscaping, hydroponics, aquaponics and on lawns, gardens, fields and golf courses.
OMRI listed under Crop Fertilizers and Soil Amendments.