When it comes to crop pests, Codling Moths, Oriental Fruit Moths (OFM) and Leafrollers are some of the most damaging to fruit tree crops. These insects have voracious appetites for developing fruit and can easily wipe out all that a tree can produce. It's not the adults, but the larval form that causes the damage. Codling Moths are the primary culprit in wormy apples. OFM and Leafrollers will create damage to blossoms, branches, leaves and cause the fruit to rot. While these types of infestations are not usually fatal to the tree itself, they can quickly turn a crop ugly and unsellable. Infestations can also lead to other secondary tree diseases, such as Sooty Mold. These three insects will feed on many kinds of hosts, including almonds, apples, apricots, cherries, cole crops, peaches, pears and walnuts.
The best way to handle these insects is by being proactive. Avoid disrupting the habitats and habits of natural predators like beneficial insects. Inspect frequently and keep the growing area clean. Bagging fruit, creating barriers to prevent larval movement and trunk banding are all useful. The use of pheromone lures and traps like in this kit are extremely effective. they lure the adult male moths as they gather near the tree to mate. Once close enough, the ardent males are caught on the sticky trap and perish. These traps only work on the flying adult moths and only stop the ones caught from reproducing; they do not kill the larvae.
The Pest Wizard Codling Moth & More Trap Kit comes with 2 disposable red paper delta traps coated with MessyLess Adhesive™ and a combo lure that selectively attracts male Codling Moths, Leafrollers and Oriental Fruit Moths. The lure is effective for up to 30 days. If traps become covered with insects or debris before that time, remove the lure and attach it to a fresh trap. When the lifespan of the lure is complete and the season is still active, replace lure and sticky trap with new ones. Replacement lures and additional red paper delta traps are available.
- Non-toxic pheromone lure and adhesive
- Low risk to beneficials
- Results may vary due to seasonal changes, insect pest population variations, natural predator populations, correct or incorrect trap installation, proper lure storage, weather extremes, disruption, damage and/or contamination due to chemical sprays, pets, children, sprinklers, or other unforeseen events.
- Some beneficial insects may land on the sticky traps. But, by comparison, toxic insecticides totally annihilate all insects and will harm or kill outright other wildlife. Not to mention the potential harm to children and pets.
Shop All Pest Wizard Products here.
This Product Controls These Pests or Diseases: Codling Moth (Cydia pomonella), Oriental Fruit Moth (Grapholita molesta) and several species of Leafrollers.
TO SET UP STICKY RED PAPER DELTA TRAPS:
- Crease along all folds before removing adhesive cover.
- Peel off the adhesive cover diagonally from corner.
- Remove the disc-shaped lure from the outer layer of plastic, but do not puncture or open the innermost plastic. Use the included fastener to attach it to the inside top edge of the trap.
- Fold to align top edge.
- Insert hanger. Staple or paperclip top edge.
- Fold in corners, roof flaps, then floor flap on one side of trap.
- Remove the rubber lure labeled "part 1" from the plastic and place it on the adhesive floor of the trap.
- Fold in corners, roof flaps, then floor flap on other side of trap.
Please refer to the manufacturer's label under the DOCS tab for illustrations of the above instructions.
HOW TO DEPLOY TRAPS:
- Hang traps with lures about 10 feet apart at shoulder height just inside foliage.
- Continue deployment into the fall for maximum trap captures of adults as they emerge throughout the season from their pupal stages in the soil.
- If an untended weedy area is nearby, hang a trap from a garden stake between the edge of the crop and the weeds.
- The lure is typically effective for about 30 days. When a trap becomes saturated before that time, remove the lure and attach it to a fresh trap. Repeat as necessary.
ATTENTION: Results may vary due to seasonal changes, insect pest population variations, natural predator populations, correct or incorrect trap installation, proper lure storage, weather extremes, disruption, damage and/or contamination due to chemical sprays, pets, children, sprinklers, or other unforeseen events.
- Keep MessyLess Adhesive card away from eyes and hair. Adhesive could stick to eyelashes and hair and pull them out.
- Dispose of plastic packaging in a proper trash receptacle - do not recycle.
- Adhesive cleans up with soap and water.
Storage: Keep lures sealed until used. Store in a cool place or in a freezer.
Warning & Toxicities: Choking hazard. Small parts, keep away from small children and pets. If lure is ingested, seek medical attention.