CYD-X HP is an aqueous suspension concentrate biological insecticide that contains a baculovirus (Cydia pomonella granulovirus or CpGV) that infects and kills only the larvae of the codling moth. Because this virus is so host specific, it provides highly effective biological control of damaging codling moths without harming other living things or the environment in general.
The baculovaris particles in CYD-X HP are naturally encapsulated within a protein occlusion body (OB). In order to infect the codling moth larvae, these OBs must be ingested. Once they do, the digestive tract of the larvae will dissolve the outer coating of the OB and release the virus into the larval body. The virus then penetrates cells inside the gut and programs them to replicate the virus, which will continue to infect more and more cells and organs until it ultimately kills the larvae. When the host is dead, decomposition releases billions of new viral OBs. These OBs are then spread by rain, or gravity, or larval movement and will contaminate the area and attach to any larvae present. Once the larvae start feeding, those billions of OBs will enter the body of the larvae and the cycle begins again.
- Studies have shown that only 1-2 OBs can cause a lethal viral infection - an ounce of CYD-X contains 1 trillion OBs!
- Larval death does not occur instantly - it will happen 3-7 days after ingestion. You may want to use additional control methods in the interim or until CYD-X gains substantive control. See all Codling Moth control solutions here.
- Frequent applications at low rates may be more effective overall than one or two applications at high rate, although death may occur more quickly at higher temperatures and higher dosages.
- Does not infect plants or vertebrates and will not reproduce in mammalian cells.
- Can be used in combination with existing programs for reducing populations, increasing effectiveness, and managing insecticide resistance.
- Tank-mixable with fungicides, foliar nutrients, and insecticides.
- 4-hour Restricted Entry Interval (REI), O-day Pre-Harvest Interval (PHI) and is exempt from residue tolerances.
For further information on CYD-X HP, including the manufacturer's label, please refer to the documents under the DOCS tab.
This Product Controls These Pests or Diseases:
For use to control the larvae of the Codling Moth (Cydia pomonella).
Mix CYD-X HP with water and apply as a spray to fruit and foliage.
For best results, use water at or near neutral pH (7).
|CROP ||APPLICATION RATE|
|Apple, pear, plum, prune, and walnut ||1/2 to 3 fluid ounces per acre of tree |
- Apply in sufficient water to thoroughly wet the tree canopy without excessive runoff.
- Select a spray volume appropriate to tree size and density of foliage: For small trees use 50-100 gallons of spray per acre. Larger trees with denser canopy may require 100-200 gallons per acre.
- Make at least 2 applications of CYD-X HP per codling moth larval generation.
- Target small larvae early in their life cycle and repeat as necessary to maintain control.
- CYD-X HP breaks down under direct exposure to sunlight, so reapply after 7-8 sunny days if codling moth are still flying and laying eggs.
- If using temperature models (heat unit accumulation measured in degree days) and pheromone trap catch to predict codling moth development, make the first spray against the first larval generation around 250 degree days after codling moth Biofix (first moth flight).
- If targeting the second generation, start at approximately 1100-1200 degree days after biofix. "No Biofix" models (using heat units only, with no trap catch information) are now used in some growing regions.
- If not using heat units to time sprays, apply CYD-X HP in the 1st and 2nd cover sprays against first generation larvae. For second generation, apply in the 4th and 5th cover sprays.
- Frequent applications at low rates may be more effective than one or two applications at high rate.
Can be applied up to and including the day or harvest or storage.
Do not apply directly to water, or to areas where surface water is present or to intertidal areas below the mean high water mark. Do not contaminate water when disposing of equipment washwaters or rinsate.
Store this product in original sealed container in a cool, dry place inaccessible to children and pets. Store at temperatures below 86°F. Bioactivity may be impaired by storage above 86°F. Storing the product in a freezer or refrigerator will extend its shelf life.
Cannot Be Shipped To: AL,AR,CT,DC,DE,FL,GA,HI,IN,LA,MS,NE,NJ,NC,ND,OK,TX,WV
Warning & Toxicities:
CAUTION. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN. Harmful if inhaled. Avoid breathing spray mist. Harmful if absorbed through skin. Avoid contact with skin, eyes or clothing. Causes moderate eye irritation. Wash thoroughly with soap and water after handling and before eating, drinking, chewing gum, or using tobacco or using the toilet. Remove and wash contaminated clothing before reuse.
A minimum of 2 years stability if stored refrigerated.
Active Ingredients/Guaranteed Analysis:
- Cydia pomonella granulovirus ..............................................................0.06%
- Other Ingredients ..................................................................................99.94%
*Contains at least 3 x 1013 viral occlusion bodies (OBs) per Liter.