It can be challenging to keep pest insect populations in control when you have a large growing area, so it's important to use every tool available to you. These Blue & Yellow Sticky Ribbon Rolls are an effective way to trap and monitor whatever is flying around in there. Simply roll them out along the perimeter of your garden or greenhouse and, since they are double-sided, they will trap insects coming and going. You can also stretch them out along the ground to catch crawling insects. Blue attracts some insects and yellow attracts others, so pick according to your biggest pest problem, or get both to maximize your captures. Pheromone lures or essential oils can be added to these rolls to increase their allure.
Blue - This particular shade of blue triggers a primal response in thrips that draws them to it. It is also effective in attracting leafminers. Use this color to control (among others):
- Frankliniella species of thrips, including Western Flower Thrips (Frankliniella occidentalis)
- Bean Thrips (Caliothrips fasciatus)
- Spinach Leafminers (Pegomya hyoscyami)
Yellow - This bright hue is attractive to a wide variety of crawling and flying insects. Soft-bodied insects like aphids and whiteflies are especially vulnerable to this yellow. Use this color to control (among others):
- California Laurel Aphid (Euthoracaphis umbellulariae)
- Greenhouse Whitefly (Trialeurodes vaporariorum)
- Mexican Bean Beetle (Epilachna varivestis Mulsant)
There is a low risk to beneficial insects, but some may be caught by accident. You should plan any release of beneficials accordingly. For best results, install trap at the time of planting. Results could vary due to trap placement, seasonal weather variations, size of pest populations present before installing traps, presence and number of natural pest predators, extreme weather, chemical spray contamination as well as disruption and/or damage due to human or other interference.
When to Apply:
When beginning to plant, apply the trap as a preventative treatment to control flying insects. Rolls can remain in place until the trapping surface is fully covered with flying insects.
Where to Apply:
- For infected crops: Apply the roll in areas where the pest population is greatest (this is typically in warmer areas of the greenhouse).
- For early pest prevention: Apply the roll throughout the crop. Please note that early pest prevention may vary in crop and pest species.
How to Apply:
Place along the perimeter of fields and/or gardens and inside greenhouses. It can be wrapped around fenceposts or stakes that are driven into the ground, or it can be attached to greenhouse posts with staples or string.
Using vinyl gloves when handling this product will make cleanup easier. Any adhesive that comes in contact with the skin can be removed with vegetable oil, soap and water.
Warning & Toxicities:
- Avoid contact with the adhesive layer.
- Avoid high temperatures and direct sunlight.
- Wash hands before and after handling.