Homeplate is an organic herbicide that's formulated to control many common broadleaf annual weeds and suppress the growth of biennial and perennial broadleaf weeds. This organic spray is powered by a blend of caprylic acid and capric acid that spreads easily for thorough coverage and causes rapid weed burndown. It works by disrupting plant cell walls and removing the waxy protective covering on the leaf tissues. Dehydration and leaf and stem collapse quickly follow, resulting in total kill within 12-72 hours (depending on environmental conditions). Homeplate is not harmful to labeled crops when used as directed, but it is still a powerful herbicide and care should be taken to avoid contacting desired vegetation when using this product.
- For use in organic and conventional weed management programs.
- Can be used in many ways: pre and post-plant applications, sucker control, trimming and pruning, as a harvest aid and as a desiccant.
- Can be applied using any standard sprayer, including machine and backpack. Do not apply this product by aerial application.
- Efficacy is enhanced when used during sunny or warm conditions.
- There will be visible weed damage within a few hours to 2 days after spraying. If rain falls within 3 hours of treatment, an additional spray may be required.
- For best results, optimize your spray coverage and target small weeds.
- 24-hour REI (Restricted Entry Interval) and 0-day Pre-Harvest Interval.
For use in and around all food and non-food crops, including Berry and Small Fruits, Brassica Leafy Vegetables, Leafy Vegetables, Root Vegetables, Tuberous and Corm Vegetables, Bulb Vegetables, Citrus, Cucurbits, Cereal Grains, Fruiting Vegetables, Legumes, Oilseed, Stalk, Stem and Leaf Petiole Vegetables, Tree Nuts, Pome Fruits, Stone Fruits, Tropical and Subtropical Fruits, Herbs, Spices and Greenhouse. Please refer to the manufacturer's label under the DOCS tab for a more detailed list of crops and crop-specific application guidelines.
Shop all Certis Biologicals products here.
This Product Controls These Pests or Diseases: Annual Sedge, Annual Spurge, Chickweed, Common Groundsel, Common Lamb's Quarter, Creeping Wood Sorrel, Eclipta, Field Blindweed, Goosegrass, Henbit, Johnson Grass, Palmer Amaranth, Redroot Pigweed, Spotted Spurge, Shepherd's Purse and Wild Chamomile.
Homeplate can be applied using the following methods:
- Vegetation Burndown:General control of weeds, grass, algae and moss for site preparation and non-crop areas. Spot treatments may be used in crop and pasture situations. Applications may be made in and around desirable plants when contact with foliage and green bark is avoided.
- Directed and Shielded Sprays: Applications may be made around desirable plants when contact with foliage and green bark is avoided.
- Pre-Plant Applications: Prior to Emergence of Plants from Seed, Perennial Rootstocks, and Bulbs, Tubers, etc. Ensure applications are made before new growth or crop emerges from soil or damage will occur.
- Post-Harvest Sprays (annual crops): To control weeds, grass, moss and algae growing in fields after the commodity has been harvested.
- Sucker Control, Pruning and Trimming: To burn back and control epicormic shoots, sucker growth, and other unwanted growth on woody trees, foliage growth on vines, excessive cane growth in brambles, or other listed use sites. Apply only to unwanted vegetative parts. Apply before suckers become woody.
- Harvest Aid and Desiccation: To remove leaves of plants prior to harvest and/or burndown of weeds to facilitate harvest. Harvest aid and desiccation use include applications to root and tuber vegetables, bulb vegetables, seed crops and cotton. Applications must be made at least 24 hours prior to harvest to ensure full burndown.
- Structural and Building Applications: To control weeds, grass, moss and algae in and around buildings and structures such as benches, walls, floors and roofs.
Can be applied using any standard sprayer, including machine and backpack. Shake well and dilute with water using the chart below as a guide.
- Use the 3% solution for small, easy-to-kill weeds, less than 5 inches tall, and for moss and algae.
- Use the 3-6% solution for larger perennial weeds and grasses.
- Use the 5-9% solution for tough-to-kill weeds, vines, brush and sucker control.
Apply the mixed solution at 0.69-9.2 gallons/1,000 sq ft (35-400 gallons per acre). In situations where weed pressure is high and/or weeds are larger than 5 inches, higher volumes are advised for acceptable control.
- DO NOT apply this product by aerial application.
- DO NOT apply through any kind of irrigation system.
- Spray weeds thoroughly, using a coarse nozzle setting to reduce drift. Thorough coverage is extremely important.
- For spot treatment of individual weeds, apply the mixed solution to the center of the plant to the point of runoff.
- Plant damage will be visible from a few hours to 2 days after spraying.
- Rainfast within 3 hours.
- Repeat treatment as needed to control new weeds growing from seed and re-growth from
biennial and perennial weeds.
Avoid spraying desirable plants. Thoroughly wash equipment after use.
Please see manufacturer's label under the DOCS tab for information on tank mixing with other herbicides.
|Desired Volume of Spray Solution
||Amount of Homeplate Per Volume of Water
||4 fl. oz.
||8 fl. oz.
||12 fl. oz.
||19 fl. oz.
||38 fl. oz.
||58 fl. oz.
||38 fl. oz.
||77 fl. oz.
||115 fl. oz.
Environment: Environmental Hazards: For terrestrial uses: Do not apply directly to water, or to areas where surface water is present, or to intertidal areas below the mean high-water mark. Do not contaminate water when cleaning equipment or disposing equipment washwater or rinsate.
Storage: Do not contaminate water, food, or feed by storage or disposal. Store in a secure place, away from open fire or flame. Keep container closed and reseal after use. Product may be damaged by freezing. Do not store product below 39°F.
Limit online to 4 x 2.5 gal due to weight. For larger quantities, please call or email for a shipping quote.
Warning & Toxicities: Keep out of reach of children. Causes moderate eye irritation. Avoid contact with eyes, skin or clothing. Wear eye protection (goggles, face shield or safety glasses) and chemical-resistant gloves. Wash thoroughly with soap and water after handling, and before eating, chewing gum, using tobacco or using the toilet. Prolonged or frequently repeated skin contact may cause allergic reaction in some individuals.
Active Ingredients/Guaranteed Analysis:
Caprylic Acid ................................................................................44%
Capric Acid ...................................................................................36%
Other Ingredients: .......................................................................20%
(C8/C10 Fatty Acid blend = 80%)