DTE Insect Frass comes from sustainable insect farming and contains the waste and exoskeletons of Black Solider Fly larvae. Raised solely on pre-consumer food waste sourced from grocery stores, food processors and food distributors, these larvae produce an excrement (frass) that's full of nutrients and chitin. As they feed, they thoroughly and efficiently break down decaying materials. In this process, they release nitrogen, phosphorous and other nutrients. The larvae will molt as they grow and this molting process leaves bits of exoskeleton, called chitin, in their frass. Plants react to chitin in the soil as if there are insects present. In response, they make themselves stronger by producing bigger and healthier parts and fortifying their overall cell structure. It's the combination of nutrients and chitin that make this an exceptional fertilizer.
- Can be used on all types of plants
- OMRI Listed & CDFA Registered
- Has many of the same characteristics and benefits of guanos and earthworm castings.
Shop All Down to Earth products here.
6 cups ≈ 1 lb., 1 cup ≈ 2.5 oz., 1 tbsp ≈ 0.2 oz.
- To prepare new gardens, apply 1-2 lbs per 100 square feet and thoroughly mix into the top 3" of soil.
- For new transplants, add 1-2 tbsp per hole, mix into soil and water in well.
- To feed established plants, side dress 1-2 oz, depending on plant size and desired growth rate, once each month during the growing season.
- For new plantings, add 1-2 tbsp per gallon of soil and mix thoroughly OR add 1 cup per cubic foot.
- For established plants, lightly mix 1-2 tbsp per gallon into the soil surface once each month during the growing season.
Trees & Shrubs:
- For new trees/shrubs, prepare transplant hole and mix 1-2 cups with the backfill soil. Use the amended soil to fill in around the new tree and water in well.
- For established trees/shrubs, spread 1 lb. per 1" of trunk diameter around the base outwards to the dripline, mix into soil surface and water in well.
Cannot Be Shipped To: AK,AR,CT,DE,FL,GA,IA,IN,MN,MS,MT,NE,NJ,NC,ND,NH,PR,SC,TN,WV,WY
Warning & Toxicities: Use of a dust mask is recommended for application of any dry fertilizer product.
Total Nitrogen (N).....................................3.0%
1.0% Water Soluble Nitrogen
2.0% Insoluble Nitrogen
Available Phosphate (P2SO4)..................1.0%
Soluble Potash (K2O).........................1.0%
Derived from Insect Frass