OMRI Listed Prilled Sulfur For Soil Acidification & Salt Remediation
TIGER 90CR Organic Sulphur 0-0-0-90 is ideal for soil amendment purposes in alkaline soils – when a soil test shows a high pH (above 7.0 and especially above 8). It also helps reduce high levels of sodium and lime (above 1.0%). Available in prilled (pelletized) form.
High pH soils render essential nutrients unavailable for crops. One of the most cost-effective ways to lower pH is to apply TIGER 90CR Organic Sulphur, a prilled product made up of thousands of tiny particles of sulfur per granule. TIGER 90CR Organic Sulphur is mixed with Bentonite clay in a special time-release formula to ensure slow breakdown and long-term enhancement of the soil. It is OMRI Listed and WSDA registered for use in organic production.
Benefits of TIGER 90CR Organic Sulphur:
- Cost-effective method for acidifying alkaline soil.
- Useful additive for high sulphur-using crops like oil seeds and legumes.
- Aids in leaching sodium out of problem soil.
- Controlled release pellets supplies sulphur throughout the growing season.
- Helps microbial activity in the soil by acidifying the root zone, aiding microbial proliferation.
As TIGER 90CR Organic Sulphur decomposes and lowers your soil pH, it will react with the free lime in the soil, which will add gypsum (high in calcium) to the soil and free up sodium to be leached out by watering. Elemental sulfur is also oxidized by soil dwelling microorganisms, producing sulfuric acid. This acid production gradually lowers pH and aids fungal and bacterial growth within the rhizosphere. This gives poor quality alkaline soil more tilth, reduces soil crusting, increases nutrient availability, and removes sodium that can contribute to poor aeration and slow water uptake. Refer to the chart under the Instructions tab for the amount of water needed to leach excess sodium.
Method of Application: Warm temperatures, good moisture and aeration are required for decomposition of sulfur to occur. Therefore, it is recommended to add sulfur when plowing in early spring, as decomposition is minimal at soil temperatures less than 50°F. Consequently, sulfur decomposition in the winter can be limited even in a mild climate. Sulfur that lies 'dormant' in the winter, however, will decompose when warmer temperatures occur. Applications are best made just before temperatures are warm enough for the bacteria to decompose the sulfur (70–80°F).
Applications can be made on turf just after core aeration, but care should be taken to apply plenty of irrigation to wash the sulfur from the turf grass after any method of surface application.
Remember: Amend soil pH gradually. Avoid trying to make large pH adjustments if possible. Application recommendations should be based on soil tests and crop removal rates of sulfur.
Water Needed to Leach Excess Free Sodium:
- For 1 lb of sulfur, use 1.11 lb Tiger Organic 0-0-0-90.
- Apply appropriate amount of Tiger Organic 0-0-0-90 according to soil amending needs recommended by a pH test and soil test to check for sodium and lime.
- As a general guideline, apply 250 lbs/acre or up to 5 lbs per 1,000 sq ft of Tiger 90CR Sulphur and monitor soil pH levels to determine if additional sulfur applications are required.
- One 50 lb bag should cover up to 10,000 sq ft.
- 6 inches of water per foot of root zone will remove 50% of sodium
- 12 inches of water per foot of root zone will remove 80% of sodium
- 24 inches of water per foot of root zone will remove 90% of sodium
Environment: Outdoors, Crops, Orchards & Vineyards, Nursery, Greenhouse, Grow Room, Interiorscapes, Container Plants, Houseplants, Composting Facilities
Storage: Store in original container. Store in a dry location.
Shipping Restrictions: Ships Ground or Freight only.
What's In The Package: 50 lbs of prilled (small pellets) elemental sulfur.
Warning & Toxicities: Do not inhale. Toxic to amphibians, fish, insects, mollusks, and zooplankton
Shelf Life: Indefinite
Sulphur ..... 90%