These seeds will produce pretty 4-8" tall plants with dark red, oval or spoon-shaped leaves and fuchsia-colored flower spikes. All of this plant is edible. Sprouts are perfect for sandwiches and salads and can be ready in 7-15 days. Amaranth can be grown to eat raw as micro-greens in a salad or cooked. The taste is similar to spinach or swiss chard. Spikes can be harvested at about 150 days and used as any other grain.
Plants are easy to grow in a warm climate, in full sun, and a well-drained soil. Plants may need to be staked at full height.
Germination Temperature: 60 - 75° F and above.
When growing for the micro greens, germinate seeds at 75° F and grow at cooler temperatures of about 60° F.
Germination: 3 - 4 Days
Days to Maturity: 10 Days for micro greens; 90 - 120 Days for mature plants.
Each package contains approximately 150 seeds.
- 5-6 weeks before last frost, sow seeds on soil surface (they need light to germinate).
- Seeds will germinate in 10-15 days at 75°F.
- Plants grow readily from seeds sown in garden in sun or very little shade after last frost.
- Thin transplants to 12-18" apart.
- The poorer the soil, the more brilliant the colors.