- Shipping Info
The Early Jersey Wakefield brings with it an impressive heirloom lineage; it was first introduced around 1840. This cabbage produces early and enthusiastically; you would be hard pressed to find a better cabbage for early spring planting. The conical-shaped heads will be smallish (2-3 lbs.) and dense, with a small core and wide protective outer leaves. These heads hold their shape and resist splitting. The compact features of this cabbage make it especially well-suited for raised beds and smaller gardens. The uniquely sweet flavor of this cabbage is outstanding whether eaten raw in salads and slaws, pickled or cooked.
Days To Maturity: 64
- 6-8 weeks before last frost date, sow seeds ½" deep in flats.
- In 4 weeks, transplant 3" apart in flats.
- 2 weeks before last expected frost, set out 23-36" apart.
- Direct seed or set out in full sun where summers are mild, or in afternoon shade in hot, dry climates.
- Grows best in soil that is well drained, fertile and rich in humus.
What's In The Package: Approximately 100 seeds per packet.