Freight shipping required for PBH Rice Hulls. Please call us to acquire freight shipping prices.
Many growers have already learned that PBH/Nature's Media Amendment, a par-boiled rice hull amendment, is the ideal replacement for perlite. Some of its advantages include:
• Less dust when you mix with other substances.
• Lower in cost
• Remains stable over the planting cycle, but once mixed decomposes over time
• Packaging is compressed: 4 cu. ft. bag yields approximately 7 cu. ft., reducing storage, handling and freight costs
• Processed to insure purity: no disease, weeds, or insects
• Size, shape and bulking properties optimize aeration, porosity and drainage
• Color blends in with other media components
• OMRI Listed and WSDA registered
Growers choosing PBH/Nature's Media Amendment reduce costs, gain sustainability, and do not sacrifice plant quality.
PBH Rice Hulls add porosity to the rooting substrate that allows improved movement of water and oxygen to aid root development and reduce the incidence of disease. At 20% of the total volume of the root substrate, PBH provides similar drainage and air-filled pore space as a 20% perlite mix. Once the volume of PBH is increased to 25% of the total volume, it provides a higher level of drainage and air-filled pore space than 25% perlite. The highest shoot and root growth occurred for plants grown in root substrates containing 20% to 30% PBH.
Recommendation is for 10-30% of total growing media. Growing media with 20% PBH has approximately 10% aeration (air-filled pore space); 30% BPH has approximately 20% aeration. A 4 or 6 in. container needs a minimum of 10-15% air-filled pore space.
The following chart provides users with the volume of mix that is produced based on using PBH Rice Hulls and Sphagnum Peat at the indicated rates. (All quantities are approximate.)
|Mix & Yield Rates - PBH Rice Hulls plus Sphagnum Peat |
|1 Bale of |
| ||Sphagnum Peat |
at rates of:
| ||Rooting Substrate |
Yield (in cubic yards)
| ||Rooting Substrate |
Yield from 3 Bales
of Rice Hulls
|15% ||+ ||85% ||= ||1.66 || ||5 |
|20% ||+ ||80% ||= ||1.25 || ||3.75 |
|25% ||+ ||75% ||= ||1 || ||3 |
|30% ||+ ||70% ||= ||0.83 || ||2.5 |
All quantities are approximate because bales are filled by weight (50 lbs.)
When blending, add PBH last.
Environment: Outdoors, Crops, Nursery, Greenhouse, Grow Room, Interiorscapes, Container Plants, Houseplants
Storage: Store in original container
Shipping product SKU's 1309000 or 1309001 requires a freight shipping quote and special equipment for delivery. Please call to order.
Shelf Life: Indefinite if stored in a dry location.
• Bulk Density, g/cc (lbs./ft.3) ................7.0 (+/- .5%)
• Total Pore Space, % ............................89
• Air-Filled Pore Space, %......................69
• Water-Holding Capacity, % w/w ........65 – 85
• pH ............................................................6.2 – 6.6
• Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm .....0.3 – 1.1