This loose-leaf variety has become a favorite among savvy gardeners for its many fine qualities. It is undoubtedly a beautiful plant: it has large, crinkly leaves with ruffled tips that change hues from a green at the base to shades of maroon, burgundy and red up the leaf. These are glorious leaves, but they also have a delectable buttery flavor and soft texture that makes them a joy to eat. Red Sails lettuce is also a dependable plant, it is an early starter that stands in the garden well after maturing without becoming bitter or bolting. This fabulous lettuce will provide many months of satisfying eating. Certified organic and biodynamic.
Soil Temp. for Germination: 40-75°F
Days to Maturity: 53 Days
- Sow 3-4 seeds per inch in sterile seedling mix 3 weeks prior to planting outside.
- Two weeks after seeding, lettuce can be transplanted into individual pots.
- Remember to harden off 2-3 days before planting out. To harden off, set transplants outside in a sheltered area and reduce the amount of water.
- Direct sow 1 seed per inch as soon as the soil can be worked
- Cover seed slightly and gently press down.
- Thin as soon as 2-3 true leaves have formed.
Growing Tips: With a bit of planning, you can plant every 3 weeks all season for a continual harvest.
What's In The Package: 1 gram of seed
Certifications: USDA Certified Organic and Demeter Biodynamic Certified