Deciduous fruit flies in the Rhagoletis family produce Apple Maggots, Blueberry Maggots, Cherry Worms and Walnut Husk Maggots. These maggot pests have destroyed crops all across the United States and Canada and have proven to be a challenge to control. One difficulty in handling these insects is that they lay their eggs out of sight under ripening fruit skin or inside a walnut's husk. The presence of the insect and the damage that it has done is not evident until the fruit or nut has been picked and opened. Only then is the internal destruction and rot detected, when it is too late to prevent it. The sheer reproductive capability of this pest is another factor which makes it difficult to control. Adults will overwinter in a pupae form; but, once they emerge from that life stage, the females only need 5-7 days to become mature and will then begin laying 50-300 eggs each. The eggs will incubate in their host fruit or nut for 3-10 days and then feed for 17-22 days – plenty of time to do devastating work. After their feeding stage, they will drop to the ground to pupate into another generation. This trap kit will work against the fruit flies in their adult stage to catch them before they can start that next generation. They will be captivated by the smell and color of the trap and, once close enough, they will become entangled and die before they can mate and lay their eggs.
The lure is effective for 60-90 days. If the trap becomes covered with insects or other debris before that time, remove the lure and attach it to a fresh trap. When the lifespan of the lure is complete and the season is still active, replace lure and sticky trap with new ones. Replacement lures (SKU# 1254245) and sticky traps (SKU# 1254255) are available.
Although there is some chance that beneficial insects may become ensnared on the yellow sticky trap, the risk to beneficials is generally low. It is certainly a much lower risk than if pesticides were used to kill the fruit flies.
Results may vary due to seasonal changes, insect pest population variations, natural predator populations, correct trap installation, proper lure storage and weather extremes, disruption, damage and/or contamination due to chemical sprays, pets, children, sprinklers or other unforeseen events.
Shop All Pest Wizard Products here.
This Product Controls These Pests or Diseases: For use to control 1254246 Flies (Rhagoletis pomonella), Blueberry Maggot Flies (Rhagoletis mendax), Walnut Husk Fly (Rhagoletis completa), Black Cherry Fruit Fly (Rhagoletis fausta), European Cherry Fruit Fly (Rhagoletis cerasi), Eastern Cherry Fruit Fly (Rhagoletis cingulata) and Western Cherry Fruit Fly (Rhagoletis indifferens).
Handle with clean hands or implements.
- Attach 1-2 hangers (included) to the sticky trap.
- Add a bend in one of the hangers to form a small hook that will be used to attach the lure.
- Remove lure pouch from its outer plastic packet. Do not open or puncture pouch!
- Hang the lure pouch onto the sticky trap by pushing the hook through the pouch hole.
- Deploy baited traps in May or June, about 10 ft. apart.
- Continue deployment into the fall for maximum trap captures of adults as they emerge throughout the season from their pupal state in the soil.
For apple, cherry and walnut trees: Hang the traps high for good visibility.
For blueberries: Place the traps at knee to waist level near fruit in the shade.
- If an untended weedy area is nearby, hang an extra trap from a garden stake between the edge of the crop and the weeds.
- The lure is typically effective for about 90 days. When a trap becomes saturated with flies before that time, remove the lure and attach it to a fresh trap. Repeat as necessary.
- Keep lures sealed inside packets until used.
- Avoid storing in direct sunlight.
- Store in a cool place or in the freezer.
- Lures stored in moderate temperature zones (75°-90°F) should have a shelf life of 2-3 seasons.
- Lures frozen inside sealed pouches will last longer and lures continually exposed to extreme heat will last a shorter amount of time.
What's In The Package: Package contains complete instructions (including a Species Identification section), 2 yellow sticky traps, 2 pheromone lures and 4 trap hangers.
Warning & Toxicities:
- Choking Hazard: Small parts, keep away from small children and pets.
- If lure is ingested, seek medical attention.
- Not a toy: Keep lure and No-Mess Sticky Card™ out of reach of children.
- Keep MessyLess Adhesive™ card away from eyes and hair. Adhesive could stick to eye lashes and hair and pull the lashes or hair out.
Write a review
Sour Cherry Maggots
Sep 13, 2023 | By Bill o Moore
Effective Fruit Fly Traps!
May 7, 2023 | By Margaret Van Wyk
Jul 6, 2022 | By Bill Moore
Jul 15, 2020 | By Teresa