Hister beetles, Carcinops pumilio, are small black, predatory beetles that are used in poultry facilities for fly control. They will consume fly eggs and maggots; one adult Hister beetle can consume 54 maggots and/or eggs per day. Not only is the adult beetle an active hunter, in the larval stage it is also a highly aggressive and insatiable predator. These beetles are shipped as reproductive adults and will begin laying eggs rapidly upon introduction to manure (manure should be at least one week old). The eggs will hatch and the larval stage will immediately begin feeding. In about 4-6 weeks, the second generation of adults will become evident.
- Hister beetles are most active in the spring, summer, and fall.
- Most efficient at 80° F.
- Because these beetles are lab reared, they are guaranteed salmonella-free.
Release beetles in small groups throughout the manure pit. These beetles do not travel well from one pile to the other, so it is necessary to place beetles in all locations of desired control
Hister Beetles ship via UPS Next Day only.
- Orders ship Monday through Wednesday - ONLY. Online orders can take 1-2 business days to process.
- Minimum 7 day processing required.
- Orders processed after 5 PM on Monday will ship the following Tuesday.
- Orders processed after 5 PM on Wednesday will ship two Mondays later
Cannot Be Shipped To: HI