Avena sativa, also known as Jerry Oats, is a medium-tall, early heading variety of oat. High yielding at 100 bushels per acre, it has 13.3% protein in research trials. Can be planted as a grain in early spring or as a nurse crop when seeding clovers in late summer or early fall. Jerry oats remain green into November.
- Vegetation mats and holds soil building a mulched bed for spring planting.
- Nurse crop for clovers and alfalfa.
- Can be used for grain or forage.
- Adapts well to wet soils.
…………59° to 73°F ambient
- Seed at 3 – 4 lbs per 1,000 square ft.
- Seed at 120 – 160 lbs per acre.
Plant alone or in combination with red clover or alfalfa in spring. Plant with winter wheat in fall.