- Shipping Info
Since its introduction by Burpee in 1902, the Black Beauty Eggplant has become a favorite of home and market growers alike due to its productivity and uniform ripening. Plants will bushy and spread about 24-30"and bear smooth-skinned oval or tear drop shaped fruit. This fruit will be about 6½ x 5" in diameter and purplish-black in color. As the fruit ripens, its glossiness will fade and it will become more of a dull purple. For optimal flavor, harvest before it loses its gloss. Eggplants love warm weather, but you can grow this in Northern climates if you have a long season. The shape of these eggplants makes it perfect for stuffing, but it is also excellent breaded or fried and in casseroles.
Days To Maturity: 72-85
- Sow indoors: 8-10 weeks before soil and air temperatures are thoroughly warm. Plant seeds ¼-½" deep in flats and keep soil temperature at 70-75°F.
- Germination takes 14-21 days.
- Transplant: About 3 weeks after last frost date, when seedlings are 2-3" high. Garden site should be in full sun. Plant 2½-3" apart and provide sufficient moisture, especially when fruits are setting.
- Eggplants are ripe when skin has a high gloss.
- Once nighttime temperatures are above 70°F, continuous harvesting will ensure continued fruiting.
What's In The Package: Approximately 50 seeds per packet.