Surround® WP is an effective OMRI listed crop protectant. Made from specially modified Kaolin clay that is registered for agricultural use; forms a barrier that protects from many pests when sprayed on fruits or vegetables. The white barrier not only repels pests, it causes irritation, confusion, and is an obstacle for feeding and egg-laying. Kaolin clay is highly recommended for apples, wine grapes, citrus, pears, walnuts, cucumbers and tomatoes.
Surround® WP forms a barrier that also protects against sun damage. This can help produce better crop size, color and appearance. The clay provides enough protection to cool plants by 10-15°F which helps reduce stress on plants during high temperatures or exposure to excessive heat. This cooling effect can also be applied when there is a need to extend cool weather for better orchard crops the following year.
Surround® WP can be applied with standard commercial sprayers, hand-held sprayers and backpack sprayers. This product is inert and will not not interfere with most other products when tank-mixed.
Usage rates (Commercial):
25-50 lbs mixed into 100 gallons of water per acre is the average use. Depending on crop and problem, the mix rate may need to be up to 100 lbs mixed into 100 gallons per acre. Continual agitation is required during application due to settling of the clay. See product label for specific information.
Usage rates for the home garden:
Using a backpack sprayer:
Pests and IPM:
- Mix 1/4 to 1/2 lb (approximately 3 cups) of Surround WP per one gallon of water. If your sprayer is not easy to shake, premix in a container and pour the mixture into your sprayer
- Add the powder slowly to approximately 1/4 of the water you will be using, stir and mix well by shaking vigorously for 30 seconds.
- Add the remaining water and shake for an additional 30 seconds.
- Shake the sprayer occasionally during application.
- When finished, spray until the sprayer is empty and flush the system. Leftover mix can be used within 2 weeks to avoid spoilage. Rinse the sprayer before the next batch.
This product works as a mechanical control for the following: Apple Maggot (Rhagoletis pomonella
), Codling Moth (Cydia pomonella
), Glassy-winged Sharpshooter, Japanese beetle (Popillia japonica Newman
), Leafhopper (Circulifer tenellus
), Lesser Apple Worm, Oriental Fruit Moth (Grapholitha molesta
), Pear psylla, Plum Curculio, Rose Chafer (Macrodactylus subspinosus
), Silverleaf whitefly (Bemisia sp
), Stink Bugs, Thrips (Franklinothrips sp
), Tufted Apple Bud Moth
Store in a dry location.
Outdoors, Crops, Orchards & Vineyards, Nursery, Container Plants