At the beginning of The Unhealthy Truth, Robyn O’Brien professes to be a type-A personality mom who had four kids in five years after being the top woman in her MBA group at Rice University. She also admits to being a bad cook and has always found it easier to buy something already prepared to feed her kids. An unlikely spokesperson for the clean food movement, her passion for this cause is apparent throughout her story. This book is infuriating, heartwarming, empowering and inspirational. Part expose, part memoir, O'Brien's journey to becoming a crusader for quality food began when her daughter experienced an allergic reaction to eggs.
To find answers for her daughter, O’Brien turned to accredited research conducted in Europe that confirms the toxicity of America’s food supply, and traced the relationship between Big Food and Big Money that ensured that the United States allowed hidden toxins in our food—toxins that can be blamed for the alarming recent increases in allergies, ADHD, cancer, and asthma among our children. All of these are detailed in a lengthy section, Notes, so the reader can check on her data.
O’Brien is above all practical. Recognizing that cost and time factors are the biggest barriers between most folks in the U.S. and clean eating, she offers common-sense tips and suggestions to promote her own “80-20 Rule,” stating:
If 80 percent of what we give our kids is healthy—free of additives, preservatives, artificial color, aspartame, MSG—then for the other 20 percent we, and they, get a free pass (p.232).
Featuring recipes and an action plan for weaning your family off dangerous chemicals one step at a time, The Unhealthy Truth is a must-read for every parent—and for every concerned citizen—in America today. Starting on page 214 all the way through page 270, she describes, advises, and lists how you can change your family’s diet. Especially helpful are substitution lists, recipes, and shopping lists! In addition, there is one appendix that lists things to know about organics and another that is simply labeled Resources, listing every kind you could think of, from brands to look for, web resources for education, films and other books.
Format: Hardcover, 288 pages
Pub Date: May 2009
Household Use, Book